[linux-lvm] F7 will not boot after running backup w/snapshot

I ran a backup today with a snapshot. Sometime after the backup completed but before I could unmount and lvremove the snapshot the system became hung. No choice but to cold boot. When the system came up it showed a kernel panic on the screen. Looking back up the screen I could see that it could not find a device with UUID blahblah for VolGroup00 (which is where the / drive is located) and then VolGroup00 not found. So ok, no problem, I just figure that the VolGroup00 is inconsistent and I can deal with this in rescue mode. Wrong. When I boot the F7 rescue from the dvd it says "You don't have any Linux partitions..." What!? I go into the shell but there is nothing under /mnt/sysimage. So how do I recover from this? How could a snapshot cause all this?

Gerry