[linux-lvm] metadata too large for circular buffer - any way to increase PV metadatasize?

John Leach john at johnleach.co.uk
Thu Aug 7 18:07:56 UTC 2008

Hi,

I'm getting the dreaded "metadata too large for circular buffer" message
trying to create a new LV in a volume group of a few hundred other LVs.

As I understand, this is because the PVs don't have enough space for the
metadata.  This size can be set to a larger value when pvcreating with
--metadatasize but I have obviously missed that boat :)

Is there a way to increase this with live PVs, rather than shifting all
the data off them and recreating and shifting back on?

I have a multinode RedHat Cluster with CLVMD and two PVs.  I can add
additional PVs if that helps (though as I understand *every* PV needs
enough metadata space).

Thanks in advance!

John.

--