[linux-lvm] mirroring an LV?

Georges Giralt georges.giralt at free.fr
Sun Aug 17 17:37:25 UTC 2008

malahal at us.ibm.com a écrit :
> Mirror needs at least 3 PVs (2 for legs and 1 for dirty log) and you
> don't have 3 PVs in that volume group!
>
> --Malahal.
>
> Gordon McLellan [gordonthree at gmail.com] wrote:
>> I'm pulling my hair out trying to setup a mirrored logical volume.
>>
>> lvconvert tells me I don't have enough free space, even though I have
>> hundreds of gigabytes free on both physical volumes.
>>
>> Command: lvconvert -m1 /dev/vg1/iscsi_deeds_data
>> Insufficient suitable allocatable extents for logical volume : 10240
>> more required
>>
>> Any ideas?
>>
>> Thanks!,
>>
>> Gordon
>>
>> Here's the output from the lvconvert with verbose and debugging turned on:
>>
>> # lvconvert -vvv -d -m1 /dev/vg1/iscsi_deeds_data
Hi !
IMHO, you would be good when using soft mirror (md) to mirror your 2 PV
and then make a vg on the md and then lv into it...
I use 3 disks to mirror my VG/LV and it is a waste. At next major system
upgrade I'll convert it to MD/VG and reclaim a disk.
Hope this helps !

--
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as
a nail.