[linux-lvm] volume group device nodes are left behind after removing a san snapshot

I had a san snapshot attached to a server with a volume group on it.  I deactivated the snapshot, but the volume group node still exists at /dev/vgname.

I’ve tried pvscan and vgmknodes to try and get rid of it, but they complain about not being able to read /dev/sdh1 and the node remains.  This is a problem because it will not let me create a new volume group with that same name, and it must have the same name because it is part of a script.

I’m sure a reboot would get rid of it, but this is a 24/7 server and any downtime is a huge ordeal.  If anyone knows how to force the removal of the volume group without rebooting, it would be a big help.

Thanks,

James Dinkel