Re: [linux-lvm] shift PV from disk to raid device?

Thanks for the long reply, Stuart. Still trying to digest it. As a quick
info: I'm using CentoS 5.2 with mdadm-2.6.4-1.el5.

I created a partition /dev/sda3, created /dev/md2 with it and then
pvcreated /dev/sda3 mistakenly. I think (!) I remember that if I tried to
do it the other way around (create PV and LVs on /dev/sda3, then create an
md device from sda3) it would fail with device busy until I deactivated
the LVs. Then I could do that and it seemingly worked and didn't destroy
the data. But there were some error messages when using pv/lvdisplay if I
remember right. I just did this for testing what I can do with all that as
I had the chance to do it :-) before recreating the array the correct way
and filling it with my backup data on sdb3. Unfortunately, then I
overlooked this tiny bit and created the PV on the wrong device ...

Kai

--
Kai Schätzl, Berlin, Germany