[linux-lvm] shift PV from disk to raid device?

Kai Schaetzl maillists at conactive.com
Tue Dec 9 18:32:58 UTC 2008

Bryn M. Reeves wrote on Tue, 09 Dec 2008 17:36:06 +0000:

> I'd have thought that you could just take a metadata backup
> (vgcfgbackup), wipe the labels from all devices and then run:
>
>    pvcreate --uuid=$the_uuid --restorefile=/path/to/backup /dev/md2
>    vgcfgrestore -f /path/to/backup $vgname

I had thought about something using vgcfgrestore, but wasn't sure after
reading the man pages if it would really help. I thought the restore might
still contain information that it was on /dev/sd.. before and thus just
create the same situation again.

Possible sequence of commands:

- remove sdb3 from array
- check if PV sda3 and dom0 is now up and ok
- vgcfgbackup dom0 -f somefile
- wipe the labels on sda3 (how?)
- pvcreate --uuid=new uid? --restorefile=somefile /dev/md2
- vgcfgrestore -f somefile dom0

???

Kai

--