[linux-lvm] How to 'copy' a volume?

Erich Weiler weiler at soe.ucsc.edu
Fri Jan 4 00:31:17 UTC 2008

Greetings all-

I have a problem I'm trying to solve, was hoping someone would know how
to get around it...

I have a 2TB volume group, and one 500GB volume in it.  There is a Xen
VM in that volume group.  What I'd like to do is 'copy' the volume and
name it something else so I can use it as a 'template' for other VMs.

I know that LVM has the 'snapshot' capability.  But this doesn't look
like it's what I need, as I don't want my duplicate volume to have any
affiliation with the original at all.  I actually want to duplicate VM
to take up just as much space as the first and be completely independent
of any changes on the first.  Is there a way of achieving this?  Could I
maybe simply make sure the volume is unmounted and not in use, then copy
the /dev/mapper/myvolume file to something else?  I bet it's more
involved than that...  :)

Thanks in advance for any info!!

-erich