Re: [linux-lvm] How to 'copy' a volume?

Stuart D. Gathman wrote:
The machine then had a kernel panic (I think). I'm remote so I'm not sure, but I'll be going in soon to check on it. Not a critical system so no big deal. I'll let everyone one what I see at the console.

Could be very slow.  On one of my systems, a blocksize of 300k is optimal.
The default block size is usually 512 bytes.

# dd if=/dev/volgroup00/original of=/dev/volgroup00/clone bs=300k

It was probably slow, as you say, but it turns out our machines were powered off by one of the other guys in our group because the UPS was draining fast. Power was lost because of a major storm on the central California coast.

I have a feeling it was working but was interrupted. I'll try again when power is restored...

Thanks so much for your input!

-erich