[linux-lvm] LVM limits?

Jordi Prats jprats at cesca.es
Mon Jan 28 23:47:24 UTC 2008

Hi,
I'm the system administrator of PADICAT (http://www.padi.cat). It
collects Catalan (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Catalonia) web sites to
provide permanent access to them (http://www.padi.cat/en/quees.php).
It's equivalent to Internet Archive (http://www.archive.org) but for a
particular culture.

Our software developers require us to have one large file system,
actually a single directory, with all this historically-classified web
sites on a gziped file.

I'm currently studying lustre and other HPC-related file systems to get
this large file system, but by now I have ext3 as our file system. Next
Monday I'm planning to extend it to 3TB o 4TB, so I'm currently
researching for restrictions because during next month I'll have between
3TB to 4TB more to add: so, it will become a 8TB file system.

Last time I fsck my 2'1TB file system I spend about 2 hours. Anyway, I'm
also curious about the maximums :P

Thanks,
Jordi