[linux-lvm] Backup of ROOT Partition.

Jean-Philippe Villeneuve jeepii at globetrotter.net
Wed Jul 16 21:03:21 UTC 2008

I tried the folowing recipe:
http://tldp.org/HOWTO/LVM-HOWTO/snapshots_backup.html with the folowing
script:

/****************************/

#!/bin/sh
BAKLVMNAME=sysbackup
lvcreate -L592M -s -n $BAKLVMNAME  /dev/VolGroup00/LogVol00
mount /dev/VolGroup00/$BAKLVMNAME /mnt/sysbackup/ -o ro
cd /mnt/sysbackup
time tar -cjvpf /mnt/serveur/backSysVol.bz2 *
cd ..
umount /mnt/sysbackup
lvremove -f /dev/VolGroup00/$BAKLVMNAME

/****************************/

I get the folowing error:
  Rounding up size to full physical extent 608.00 MB
  Insufficient free extents (1) in volume group VolGroup00: 19 required

It works find if I do it with -L20M.
How do I change the LogicalVolumeSize?

according to 'df' I have plenty of space for data.

# df -h
/dev/mapper/VolGroup00-LogVol00
                       35G  6.0G   27G  19% /
/dev/md0              677G  270G  373G  42% /mnt/serveur
/dev/sda1             190M   26M  155M  15% /boot
tmpfs                 374M     0  374M   0% /dev/shm

Am I missing something?