[linux-lvm] Wisdom of multiple disks in one VG

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Tue Jul 22 20:23:21 UTC 2008

On Tue, 2008-07-22 at 18:22 +0200, David Robinson wrote:
[lots of good info snipped]

> > So, my general question is what the best approach would be in this
> > situation, multiple disks of much different sizes.  The existing disks
> > all have separate VG's on them.  The biggest disk is empty so far.
>
> Do you need a single large filesystem that spans disks?
No.
> Do you have a
> proper disaster recovery plan (eg, backups)?
Yes.  Kind of!  I definitely need to move my on disk backups onto a
separate physical disk than the one being backed up.

Thanks to everyone for your help.

--
Ross Boylan                                      wk:  (415) 514-8146
185 Berry St #5700                               ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Dept of Epidemiology and Biostatistics           fax: (415) 514-8150
University of California, San Francisco
San Francisco, CA 94107-1739                     hm:  (415) 550-1062