Re: [linux-lvm] Distributed LVM/filesystem/storage

On Sat, 2008-05-31 23:12:21 -0500, Wendy Cheng <s wendy cheng gmail com> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > On Fri, 2008-05-30 09:03:35 +0100, Gerrard Geldenhuis <Gerrard Geldenhuis datacash com> wrote:
> > > On Behalf Of Jan-Benedict Glaw
> >
> > [...]
> > >
> > > Maybe have a look at GFS.
> >
> > GFS (or GFS2 fwiw) imposes a single, shared storage as its backend. At
> > least I get that from reading the documentation. This would result in
> > merging all the single disks via NBD/LVM to one machine first and
> > export that merged volume back via NBD/iSCSI to the nodes. In case the
> > actual data is local to a client, it would still be first send to the
> > central machine (running LVM) and loaded back from there. Not as
> > distributed as I hoped, or are there other configuration possibilities
> > to not go that route?
>
>                         However, with its symmetric architecture,
> nothing can prevent it running on top of a group of iscsi disks (with
> GFS node as initiator), as long as each node can see and access these
> disks. It doesn't care where the iscsi targets live, nor how many there
> are.

So I'd configure each machine's empty disk/partition as an iSCSI
target and let them show up an every "client" machine and run that
setup. How good will GFS deal with temporary (or total) outage of
single targets? Eg. 24h disconnects with ADSL connectivity etc.?

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw lug-owl de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of:                http://catb.org/~esr/faqs/smart-questions.html