[linux-lvm] Distributed LVM/filesystem/storage

Jan-Benedict Glaw jbglaw at lug-owl.de
Sun Jun 1 23:00:39 UTC 2008

On Sun, 2008-06-01 23:09:01 +0200, Hannes Dorbath <light at theendofthetunnel.de> wrote:
> Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > However I still fail to find a good approach. One initial idea was to
> > export all physical volumes (partitions or full disks) vie NBD, join
> > them all on a single machine into one VG/LV, create a filesystem and
> > re-export that via NFS/SMB/...  However, all data would need to go
> > through the net twice. While speed isn't the most important thing here
> > (but storage is!), that's way suboptimal.
>
> GlusterFS with Unify translator is exactly what you are asking for.
>
> http://www.gluster.org/docs/index.php/GlusterFS

Already had a look at that, too. "Unify" seems to not directly
implement any measure of redundancy. So if one Brick goes down,
everything that was there is gone. Maybe its possible to play with the
`mirror' translator as well, but on the first look, it seems to be
non-trivial to accomodate for a steady loss and addition of bricks.

MfG, JBG

--
      Jan-Benedict Glaw      jbglaw at lug-owl.de              +49-172-7608481
Signature of: 23:53 <@jbglaw> So, ich kletter' jetzt mal ins Bett.