[linux-lvm] Split LV mirror or something

Levy Abinajm Melero Sant'Anna levy.santanna at gmail.com
Sat Jun 28 18:43:46 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I have one question about the LV mirrors.

Anytime that I think about LV mirrors I think that it should be the response
for all the issues.
If I could control the mirrors in the way that I would know each PE
location, and could split the PE mirrors on different LVs it would resolve
almost the problems regarding LV migrations with more security and speed
than snapshot and/or copy the data inside LV.

The question is:

I have one LV with some critical data, and want to make a safe copy with
less time possible of downtime. Could I make one mirror on a new PV
(lvconvert -m1) and split this copy into a new LV or/and maybe split the VG
into a new VG?

Thank you so much,
Levy Sant'Anna