[linux-lvm] lvm partition on ramdisk

Larry Dickson ldickson at cuttedge.com
Mon May 12 15:23:50 UTC 2008

Hi all,

I'm trying to set up a logical volume over a 256MB ramdisk and a 1TB raid
array partition. My ramdisk (set up in grub.conf with ramdisk_size=262144
ramdisk_blocksize=4096) fails to make a type 8e partition either in fdisk or
sfdisk. The error in fdisk is
WARNING: Re-reading the partition table failed with error 22: Invalid
argument.
The kernel still uses the old table.
The new table will be used at the next reboot.

And, of course, after the next reboot, my ramdisk data will be gone.

Can anyone give me some guidance here? Is it choking on the 4K blocksize? I
wanted that for efficiency, as suggested by MrMichaelWill on his blog,
but his base case seems to be a file system mounted directly on the
unpartitioned device, and I need LVM.

TIA,

Larry Dickson
Cutting Edge Networked Storage