[linux-lvm] Moving Xen LV to image and mounting the image.

Jonathan Brassow jbrassow at redhat.com
Fri Nov 14 15:48:14 UTC 2008

On Nov 14, 2008, at 9:44 AM, Chris Edwards wrote:

> Here are some things I have tried with no luck...
>
> losetup /dev/loop5 ~/wdcdns1.img
> sfdisk -l /dev/loop5
>
> Disk /dev/loop5: 606 cylinders, 255 heads, 63 sectors/track
>
> sfdisk: ERROR: sector 0 does not have an msdos signature
> /dev/loop5: unrecognized partition table type

Why run sfdisk?

> mount -o loop wdcdns1.img /mnt/tmp/

Why are you using '-o loop'.  You already have the loop device setup.
Couldn't you just:
prompt> mount /dev/loop5 /mnt/tmp
... or, if you didn't create the loop device already
prompt> mount -o loop /root/wdcdns1.img /mnt/tmp

> mount: you must specify the filesystem type
> ---
> mount -t xfs -o loop,ro,noatime,nodev,nofsck ~/wdcdns1.img /mnt/tmp/
>
> mount: unknown filesystem type 'xfs'

Is the xfs module loaded?  (do you have xfs support?)

  brassow