[linux-lvm] [IMPORTANT]LVM+iSCSI issue..Local Disk disappeared..

Peter Larsen plarsen at CIBER.com
Thu Oct 16 15:20:55 UTC 2008

On Thu, 2008-10-16 at 15:57 +0530, himanshu padmanabhi wrote:
> We configured it as
>
> Case 1
> [....]
> Deleted lv1,
> removed pv2,
> vg is getting displayed properly in vgs command
> Case 2
> [...]
> Deleted lv1,
> logout from iscsi target
> vg is not getting displayed properly in vgs command

Those are not the same? In case 1 you tell LVM to drop a storage (I
assume by removing pv2 you first take it out of the vg and then apply
pvremove). In case 2 you you're simulating media failure to LVM. You
can't just remove a media it depends on. Regardless if LVM has data on
the PV or not.

Are you trying to make failover work? If so, your approach is a bit
wrong. Setup a software raid 1 first, then build your PV on that. Once
done, you can remove one disk and your LVM will continue to run
(degraded).

---
Regards
    Peter Larsen

I don't kill flies, but I like to mess with their minds.  I hold them
above
globes.  They freak out and yell "Whooa, I'm *way* too high."
		-- Bruce Baum