[linux-lvm] LVs corrupted after pvresize

Morten Torstensen morten at mortent.org
Tue Oct 21 11:13:11 UTC 2008

Peter Larsen wrote:
> Can you give an example or two on how the LVM differs on the
> user-friendliness areas?

Say you want to mirror a LV, then you just do a "mklvcopy mylvname 2" to
have 2 copies of data (one extra, like raid-1). If you want to migrate
your disks to a new system, add the new PV to your VG and do a "mklvcopy
mylvname 3 newpv", then when it finish remove your old mirrors and
delete the old PVs.

The AIX concept of physical extent/logical extent mapping is sorely
missed on linux.

Generally speaking, LVM on AIX is also more mature. Exporting and
importing VGs (to move VGs between systems) works better in my
experience, clustering is more stable, but that is also something where
YMMV can show.

Managing mirrors, data placement and hotspot detection are what I mainly
miss on Linux.

--

//Morten Torstensen
//Email: morten at mortent.org
//IM: Cartoon at jabber.no morten.torstensen at gmail.com

And if it turns out that there is a God, I don't believe that he is evil.
The worst that can be said is that he's an underachiever.