[linux-lvm] lvm over loop device

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Sep 26 13:36:15 UTC 2008

geert Geurts wrote:
> ps. for people interested, I'm trying to create a disk of allot of
> small virtual disks so I can create a encrypted partition on for
> instance gmailfs and minimalize up/download time on changes.
> Pretty cool if it's possible no?
I think a better solution might be to keep the encrypted fs on a single
normal LV.  Take a snapshot and send to remote.  Keep the snapshot
around.  On next upload, take a 2nd snapshot, and send the diff between
the two snapshots.  The diff can be efficiently computed from the COW
tables - accessible as dw-nn devices.  After sending the diff, delete
the 1st snapshot and go back to "keep snapshot around".