[linux-lvm] Will LVM2 ever be able to do striped mirrors "raid 10"?

Mark Krenz mark at suso.org
Mon Apr 13 10:37:21 UTC 2009

On Mon, Apr 13, 2009 at 02:30:27PM GMT, Sandeep K Sinha [sandeepksinha at gmail.com] said the following:

> >> To increase the chances of surviving a double-disk failure it would be
> >> better to raid-0 a bunch of raid-1's.
> >
> > This is RAID1+0 (RAID10/stripe of mirrors) - it's usually preferable to
> > 0+1 not only because of the improved redundancy but also the individual
>
> I disagree.
>
> Look at this:
> http://www.pcguide.com/ref/hdd/perf/raid/levels/multXY-c.html

  I misread what Bryn had said at first as well, but re-reading it, he
means that RAID1+0 does better at recovery than RAID0+1, which does make
sense.  In RAID0+1, depending on how many mirror arrays you have and how
smart your RAID controller is, you could have twice as many disk
accesses happening during a disk recovery.  The URL that you pointed too
doesn't really talk about performance during a recovery anyways.

--
Mark S. Krenz
IT Director