Re: [linux-lvm] Move an array/volgroup to another machine.

Eric Brunson wrote:
On 04/16/2009 10:12 AM, Eric Brunson wrote:
On 04/16/2009 10:07 AM, Gerry Reno wrote:
We built a replacement server (x86_64) for an older server (x86). Now we want to move a RAID-5 array intact from the older machine over to the new machine. We know the UUID of the array and of all the PV and VG on the array. So what commands should we perform after plugging in all the array drives to the new server to bring up the array and lvm on the new machine?

"vgscan" and "vgchange -a VGNAME" I believe.

Sorry, doing three things at once:  vgchange -a y VGNAME

Make sure your VG name doesn't conflict with any already in the machine.

Will vgchange activate the raid array?

The new server just has a couple raid-1 arrays on it right now. But we need the raid-5 to be activated because there is a volgroup that uses the raid-5 device as it's PV.

Regards,
Gerry