[linux-lvm] What causes this type of messages

Allen, Jack Jack.Allen at mckesson.com
Wed Feb 4 01:33:21 UTC 2009

-----Original Message-----
From: Alasdair G Kergon [mailto:agk at redhat.com]
Sent: Tuesday, February 03, 2009 8:12 PM
To: LVM general discussion and development
Subject: Re: [linux-lvm] What causes this type of messages

On Tue, Feb 03, 2009 at 05:29:03PM -0600, Allen, Jack wrote:
>         What causes this type of messages when you do "vgdisplay -v"?
>     Fixing up missing size (10.00 GB) for PV /dev/sdb1

Incompatibilities between LVM2 versions to deal with a bug.
- Did you mix two versions of LVM2 (e.g. upgrade)?

The message is pretty harmless and should disappear after the metadata
is next
updated.  (If it doesn't, try updating to a newer version.)

Alasdair
agk at redhat.com

Thanks for the reply.

This is at a customer and as far as I can tell LVM2 has not been updated
in a while. There is a hdr file in /var/spool/up2date with a date of Feb
2007. So I have to assume that was the last time LVM2 was updated. I ran
up2date -l and it does not show any updates for LVM2.
/etc/redhat-release indicates it is RH AS 4.7.

What would need to be done to cause the metadata to be updated?

-----
Thanks
Jack Allen