Re: [linux-lvm] pvcreate & vgcfgrestore won't work

SoulSweeper wrote:
On Tue, 2009-01-06 at 12:08 +0000, Bryn M. Reeves wrote:
Ralf Sparr wrote:
Hi list,

as mentioned in my earlier post, LVM complains about
"Incorrect metadata area header checksum". As this occurs
often (many questions, rarely answers in the list) I tried to create
some 'new' via
Running pvcreate followed by vgcfgrestore is the correct way to fix a broken MDA checksum - I've used this many times to recover from these situations.

Hmmm, doesn\t sound very promising. Why does this happen? The error
directly occured after shutting the lvm down. I wanted to reboot the
server to check a new network-configuration (no LVM changes at all).
loop-aes & md were still up.

It's hard to say - when I've encountered this in the past, I've usually been doing things that I'd expect might introduce a bit of "excitement" to the system, e.g. reproducing bugs that involve crashing the kernel with a lot of I/O happening.

I am not aware of any deterministic steps that would trigger this under normal circumstances (and I'd consider it a bug if I was :) - when I've needed to demonstrate how to recover from this in the past I've had to resort to writing code to deliberately trash the checksums.

You mention that you're using loop-aes and md, I wonder if maybe something's being cached or not flushed to disk correctly when you reboot that could be causing corruption?

Regards,
Bryn.