[linux-lvm] Take snapshot on root filesystem

Hi Folks,

I have a question on the capability of LVM snapshot on root filesystem. I have my root ("/") sitting on a LVM logical volume and I want to snapshot it, backup it up and then remove the snapshot. During the snapshot and removal there can be quite some disk IO activities going on.

So does the lastest LVM could support doing the above job smoothly? I had experience that snapshot the root filesystem hangs my RHEL 4 system, and I saw similar reports (http://www.interworx.com/forums/archive/index.php/t-1590.html).
Is this problem fixed now? If so, could somebody explain where the original problem is, in device mapper, in LVM user space tool, or somewhere else?

Thanks
Ping