[linux-lvm] Can no longer mount logical volume after a kernal panic. HELP!

Bob Smith simon_seys at hotmail.com
Thu Jan 15 03:55:30 UTC 2009

I have been using LVM for quite a while to create a 3.64 stripe out of 4 x 1TB drives.  I use this as storage for my MythTV.  Tonight my system had a kernel panic, and when I rebooted I was no longer able to mount my LV, when I do I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/stripe-raid,
       dmesg | tail  or so

The system was setup as one logcal volume called stripe, vgscan shows:

  Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
  Found volume group "stripe" using metadata type lvm2

Doing an lvscan shows:

ACTIVE            '/dev/stripe/raid' [3.64 TB] inherit

When I do an fdisk -l /dev/stripe/raid (I know these are really dumb names for the lv and vg):

Disk /dev/mapper/stripe-raid: 4000.8 GB, 4000812367872 bytes
255 heads, 63 sectors/track, 486404 cylinders
Units = cylinders of 16065 * 512 = 8225280 bytes
Disk identifier: 0x00000000

Disk /dev/mapper/stripe-raid doesn't contain a valid partition table

Which makes me really worried that something has happened to the partition table when I was forced to reboot after the kernel panic.  Doing fdisk /dev/stripe/raid shows:

Device contains neither a valid DOS partition table, nor Sun, SGI or OSF disklabel
Building a new DOS disklabel with disk identifier 0xce9c3ab2.
Changes will remain in memory only, until you decide to write them.
After that, of course, the previous content won't be recoverable.

The number of cylinders for this disk is set to 486404.
There is nothing wrong with that, but this is larger than 1024,
and could in certain setups cause problems with:
1) software that runs at boot time (e.g., old versions of LILO)
2) booting and partitioning software from other OSs
   (e.g., DOS FDISK, OS/2 FDISK)
Warning: invalid flag 0x0000 of partition table 4 will be corrected by w(rite)

I known when I was first playing with LVM I had a similar issue., and remember getting a similar error when starting fdisk like the one above.  Because I was just playing with LVM and had no read data I recall just doing write in FDISK and everything went back to normal.   However now  that I do have a bit of data on here I am afraid to try this without running it by the list.

Can anyone recommend what I should do?

I can provide more details if necessary with regards to my LVM setup.

Thank you.
Simon