Re: [linux-lvm] Can no longer mount logical volume after a kernal panic. HELP!

Bob Smith wrote:

I have been using LVM for quite a while to create a 3.64 stripe out of 4 x 1TB drives.  I use this as storage for my MythTV.  Tonight my system had a kernel panic, and when I rebooted I was no longer able to mount my LV, when I do I get:

mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on /dev/mapper/stripe-raid,
       dmesg | tail  or so

Did anything appear in dmesg? What does "file -s /dev/mapper/stripe-raid" say?

When I do an fdisk -l /dev/stripe/raid (I know these are really dumb names for the lv and vg):

Why are you expecting there to be a partition table on the LV? That's something that you'd only normally do if you're using the LV as "whole disk" storage for an entire machine (e.g. exporting it via iSCSI or using it as storage for some kind of virtual machine).

Normally with LVM, file systems go directly onto the LV.

Which makes me really worried that something has happened to the partition table when I was forced to reboot after the kernel panic.  Doing fdisk /dev/stripe/raid shows:

See above - I wouldn't normally expect there to be a partition table *inside* the LV.

Regards,
Bryn.