[linux-lvm] How to change the PV Volume Group name?

jonr at destar.net jonr at destar.net
Mon Jan 26 08:54:46 UTC 2009

Quoting Doug Gray <dgra1233 at bigpond.net.au>:

> Hi,
> I am a new here and new to lvm management, so be gentle please.
>

> I don't see a facility in pvchange to change the name.

I think you are looking for vgchange and not pvchange for this.

> Is it necessary to change the name?

It is helpful to name your vg's something other than letting the
system name them. that way you won't have multiple vg's named the
same, which quickly will become a nightmare to work with.

> How do I mount the CF partition?

Look at dmesg and see what device it is then mount it like a normal drive.

> How do I mount the CF partition file image?

If it is a vg then you will want to run
'vgchange -ay'
vgscan

The issue the lvs command to see your lv's.

Then you can mount the individual lv's of the vg.

> I would be grateful for any help.  This is straight forward with the
> normal disk volumes and partitions but to do so with lvm I am
> bamboozled.
>
> Doug Gray

Hope that helps,

Jon