[linux-lvm] lvm2 and external enclosures

Ron Johnson ron.l.johnson at cox.net
Sun Jul 19 21:50:42 UTC 2009

Hi,

(The purpose of this "exercise" is to implement a backup strategy.)

I created PVs then an LV on a pair of drives in a USB dual
enclosure, created the FS, backed up my data, umounted the fs, and
disconnected/powered down the enclosure.

Upon powering it back up/reconnecting it, I did vgscan, vgchange,
mount, but got IO and "unable to read superblock" errors.

Rebooting, even with the external drives disconnected, made things
all better (though I did have to do an lvchange -a y).

***** START ******

# vgscan
   WARNING: Ignoring duplicate config node: filter (seeking filter)
   Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 2000380952576:
Input/output error
   /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 2000381009920:
Input/output error
   /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
   /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 4096: Input/output error
   /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
   Found volume group "backup_vg" using metadata type lvm2
   Found volume group "main_huge_vg" using metadata type lvm2

# vgchange -a y backup_vg
   WARNING: Ignoring duplicate config node: filter (seeking filter)
   /dev/dm-1: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error
   1 logical volume(s) in volume group "backup_vg" now active

# mount -v /mnt/backups
mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
/dev/mapper/backup_vg-backup_lv,
        dmesg | tail  or so

[28722.859373] EXT4-fs: unable to read superblock
[28722.859458] EXT3-fs: unable to read superblock

Any thoughts on getting lvm2 to play nice with dynamic devices?

Thanks

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer