Re: [linux-lvm] lvm2 confused about double UUID

On 2009-07-26 20:22, Christian Kujau wrote:
On Sun, 26 Jul 2009 at 19:50, Ron Johnson wrote:
How did you split the mirrorset?

Sorry, I should've been more specific: the two disk mirror was no "LVM mirror", it is an external two-disk enclosure where one can toggle a little DIP switch to make it "RAID0" or "RAID1", etc. I split the mirrorset via this very switch, now the system sees both external disks instead of just one. Hence the disks itself haven't been touch during the split, that's why they both have the same UUID.

Did you reformat sdc before reusing it?  (That should give it a new UUID.)

No. That's what I wanted to do (get a new UUID, use sdc for something else), but I'm afraid to do so since it's still somehow being used by LVM - and I wonder why pvs(8) says "vg02 uses sdb" but it clearly does not.

So the issue seems really the deeper fact that you've got two physical devices with the same UUID. All your lvm issues tumble out from there.

Is that a good summary?

--
Scooty Puff, Sr
The Doom-Bringer