[linux-lvm] highmem64G Breaks My LVM

I originally posted this on the LinuxQuestions forum: http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/slackware-14/highmem64g-kills-lvm-728418/

I have a fairly vanilla Slack 12.2 system. I recently upped my memory to 8GB, and so recompiled the kernel, making a single change. HIGNMEM4G was changed to HIGHMEM64G. On re-booting, I could see the extra memory, but, unfortunately, I lost all my LVM volumes.

After a few checks, I found that vgscan was failing:

root The-Tardis:~# vgscan --mknodes --verbose
   Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
   Wiping internal VG cache
 Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   Finding all volume groups
 /dev/sda1: Checksum error
   Finding all logical volumes

If I reboot back to the HIGHMEM4G kernel, then all works fine again:

root The-Tardis:~# vgscan --mknodes --verbose
   Wiping cache of LVM-capable devices
   Wiping internal VG cache
 Reading all physical volumes.  This may take a while...
   Finding all volume groups
   Finding volume group "raid_vg"
 Found volume group "raid_vg" using metadata type lvm2
   Finding all logical volumes

All the LVM volumes reside on an LSI megaRAID card, detected as /dev/sda, which is dedicated to a single PVM.

Any ideas why changing the HIGHMEM kernel option would break LVM.

Cheers,
Eddie