Re: [linux-lvm] Data deduplication in LVM?

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
Hi all

I've been reading up a little about data deduplication, and have been in search for an OSS filesystem with dedup without much luck. While testing snapshots and so on in LVM, I started wondering if dedup would be better off in LVM than in the filesystem. Would it be possible/efficient to add dedup to the LVM layer, or perhaps a layer above LVM? This could make dedup work for all or most of filesystems. Make a hash table with 4k (or whatever) blocks, make virtual blocks pointing to the physical blocks and run a remapping/deduping job at night. If written to, copy-on-write could be used to increase speed.

Is this nonsense, or might it be an idea?

This is "supposed" to be coming in the next OpenSolaris/ZFS release (per the roadmap with the just-released 2009.06 version).

--
  Les Mikesell
   lesmikesell gmail com