[linux-lvm] Data deduplication for Linux : lessfs

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk roy at karlsbakk.net
Wed Jun 24 18:50:56 UTC 2009

On 24. juni. 2009, at 17.12, Mark Ruijter wrote:

> For those who need OpenSource data deduplication today instead of
> tomorrow one might take a look at lessfs.
> http://www.lessfs.com

It's a good idea, but given the current traffic on the lessfs mailing
list, I'm not sure if much work is done. I have been a member of that
list since June 1 and haven't received more than one message, which
was the one I wrote myself.

> I am thinking about starting to work on a data deduplicating
> blockdevice, a kernel module called blockless.

If done smartly, this may perhaps be possible, but the problem is the
filesystem's metadata. Is this going to be dedup'ed? How much will
this take? A simple backup will update atime on all the files backed
up, and although atime isn't always wanted or needed, the problem
occurs elsewhere.

roy
--
Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk
(+47) 97542685
roy at karlsbakk.net
http://blogg.karlsbakk.net/
--
I all pedagogikk er det essensielt at pensum presenteres
intelligibelt. Det er et elementært imperativ for alle pedagoger å