[linux-lvm] Data deduplication for Linux : lessfs

Les Mikesell lesmikesell at gmail.com
Wed Jun 24 20:59:37 UTC 2009

Roy Sigurd Karlsbakk wrote:
>>> If done smartly, this may perhaps be possible, but the problem is the
>>> filesystem's metadata. Is this going to be dedup'ed? How much will
>>> this take? A simple backup will update atime on all the files backed
>>> up, and although atime isn't always wanted or needed, the problem
>>> occurs elsewhere.
>>
>> Block level deduplication isn't going to know/care about the
>> difference between file contents and metadata.  It is either stored in
>> blocks that match other blocks or not and the difference should not be
>> visible to the filesystem living on top of the block device.
>

> My point exactly. If dedup was to be done on the block layer, you'd need
> flag to say "do not dedup this".

Why?  How can it possibly make any difference? It's not likely that
you'd have dupes in the metadata block, but if you do it doesn't matter
that they are transparently mapped into one.  You need a copy-on-write
mechanism anyway since if you write to either they won't be dups any more.

--
   Les Mikesell
    lesmikesell at gmail.com