[linux-lvm] LVM2 and its Snapshot cause Windows bluescreen when connected simultaneously using iSCSI

thomas62186218 at aol.com thomas62186218 at aol.com
Mon Mar 23 04:19:33 UTC 2009

Hello,

I am using LVM2 Snapshot on an Ubuntu Hardy 8.0.4 64-bit distro along
with IET 0.4.17. My Ubuntu system has a quad-core 3 GHz CPU, 8GB RAM,
and 10 x 300GB SAS drives connected via an LSI SAS adapter. The 10 x
300GB SAS drives are configured in a md RAID 0, which in turn becomes a
PV.

I create a 2.1 TB volume in LVM2 from this PV and set up IET to assign
it to a Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit system that is running the
Microsoft iSCSI Initiator. This works perfectly. The Windows system can
connect to the iSCSI target without issues. I format the iSCSI target,
create a drive letter, and copy some data to it. All is well.

Then, on the Ubuntu system, using LVM2, I create a snapshot of the 2.1
TB LVM2 volume, and configure IET to also assign this Snapshot as well
to the same Windows Server 2003 R2 64-bit system. The Microsoft iSCSI
Initiator discovers this Snapshot as an iSCSI target without issues.
The moment I connect to it, however, Windows crashes and blue screens.

I am trying to determine why this happens. I noticed that if I log in
to the original LVM2 volume using iSCSI by itself, and logout, and then
login to the Snapshot using iSCSI by itself, there is no problem. I
also notice that the LVM2 volume and its Snapshot appear identically to
Windows (maybe not surprising)....same drive letter and volume name,
etc.

Is the blue screen occurring because two devices, both with the same
name and same drive letter, appeared on Windows at the same time, and
Windows crashes as a result?

How else can I have an LVM2 volume and its Snapshot both present as
iSCSI targets on the same iSCSI initiator at the same time?

Thank you for your help in advance!

best regards,
Thomas