[linux-lvm] removing a missing vg

Eugene Vilensky evilensky at gmail.com
Mon May 11 17:17:37 UTC 2009

Hi folk,

I tried to remove some NetApp LUNs from a RHEL 4.6 system, and originally
stale mappings remained in multipath -ll which I was not able to flush.  In
production instance, I am unable to remove the multipath mappings because
the vg is missing.  How can I deactivate a missing vg?

My test instance, I had the opportunity to return the test LUNs to service
and was able to "vgchange -an" followed by a "multipath -f mpath1" which
removed the mapings.

However, the four paths remain in my /dev/ heirarchy, and vgscan returns
this for each of the devices that are no longer really there:

/dev/sdf: read failed after 0 of 4096 at 0: Input/output error

How may I remove these missing devices?