Re: [linux-lvm] How do I use free PE?

On Fri, Oct 23, 2009 at 9:59 AM, Rod Rook <rod rook gmail com> wrote:
Thank you for your reply. I was thinking of using Gnome parted, but I wanted to check to see if it can be used with LVM2 partitions.

I am happy to report that I've successfully reduced the physical volume of VolGroup00 by 160GB, which I don't think I will ever use with the volume group. I left about 10GB for use by a snapshot volume. Since nobody had told me that using gparted application is safe for what I was trying to do, I did some more reading on the subject in other forums and made a backup of the volume group before I plunged into this risky undertaking.

I used a System Rescue CD (version 1.3.1) to do the job. It comes with gparted and LVM manager.
So, I can dare to say that one can reduce the physical volume of a volume group provided there is a significant unused part exists.