[linux-lvm] PFree is 0 on a drive with nothing on it

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Thu Nov 5 19:16:08 UTC 2009

> All drives are part of 'fileshare/lv_fileshare',
> which only has 400GB of data on it at the moment;

    The FILESYSTEM which you built in lv_fileshare
has 400GB of data in a 2TB filesystem, probably.
The lv_fileshare LV itself is around 2TB, so it won't
fit on a 1TB drive.  You would need to first reduce
the size of the filesystem, using resize2fs or similar,
then reduce the size of the LV using lvreduce, then
move it using pvmove.

   A tip - reduce the filesystem 10%-20% smaller than
the LV will be on - making it about 800GB, to make sure
it will fit on a 1000GB volume.  A 1000GB filesystem
won'yt necesarily fit on a 1000GB volume because of
rounding, GB versus GiB, etc.  After resizing the LV,
you can resize2fs it to fill the volume.
--
Ray Morris
support at bettercgi.com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/