[linux-lvm] Recovering data from an LV/VG w/ a crashed PV

Michael D. Setzer II mikes at kuentos.guam.net
Mon Nov 16 04:54:03 UTC 2009

Something you might want to try is replacing the controller board on the disk.
On two occassions, I had friends with disk that died, but we were able to get
the data completely off the disk by replacing the controller board on the disk
itself. This does require that you get exactly the same board as is on the
drive, and this only works if the failure was due to the disk controller, and not
internal hardware. From a Defcon presentation, this is the case in I recall
85% of disk failures.

I found the exact same disk as my friends disk on ebay for $20, and just
replaced the board. May or may not work, but it is worth a shot, and will
either work or not.

Be carefull when disconnecting the boards, to make sure you don't damage
the cables that connect to the internal hardware.

Good Luck.

  Guam Community College  Computer Center
  mailto:mikes at kuentos.guam.net
  mailto:msetzerii at gmail.com
  http://www.guam.net/home/mikes
  Guam - Where America's Day Begins

Number of Seti Units Returned:  19,471
(Total Hours: 287,489)

BOINC at HOME CREDITS
SETI 8,839,360.988 | EINSTEIN 3,255,438.231 | ROSETTA 1,455,251.513