[linux-lvm] deduplication, at LVM level or FS level?

Hi All,

I'm dealing with ever-larger HSM and backups, as I'm sure many of us are.  I was wondering where the "best" place to perform data deduplication was? (compression, ha!)

Should dedup happen at the filesystem level or the LVM level?  I'm somewhat motivated to try to shoehorn lessfs' code into something that doesn't require FUSE, but I'm still at the early stages of examining this.

Anyone doing anything similar?

Thanks

Anthony