[linux-lvm] Same file system after drive restore. Why?

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Oct 19 17:19:12 UTC 2009

On Mon, 19 Oct 2009, Lou Arnold wrote:

> I am confused as to where LVM data is stored. Restoring  a disk image
> doesn't seem to restore the original LVM set-up.

A backup of LVM metadata is stored in /etc/lvm (or where configured).
Metadata is also stored on PVs.  Your second drive was probably
a second VG (your details are rather vague), hence there was no PV
to override the lvm backup.

> Even during the kernel start-up, I saw notices of VolGroup00 problems -
> something about reverting to "version 5", although the notices went by too
> fast to record. I should just have seen the original configuration. I'm
> stumped.

There was a version conflict between the /etc/lvm backup and the PV version
of VolGroup00, and it reverted to the PV version.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>