[linux-lvm] vg availability during boot

Larsen, Peter PLarsen at CIBER.com
Fri Sep 4 14:07:48 UTC 2009

Did you rebuild initrd? During boot, initrd uses staticly linked modules to load what otherwise would be kernel modules. It does, if LVM is enabled, do a vgchange -y a as part of that process. Since LVM is part of the default initrd, it may be the drivers for your SAN that you need to get in place - remember to include the high-end Ethernet drivers too that your NAS (I presume?) uses.

--

   Peter H. Larsen
   Technical Architect
   Enterprise Security Services
   Phone: 703 610 6442 (direct)

-----Original Message-----
From: linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com [mailto:linux-lvm-bounces at redhat.com] On Behalf Of Eugene Vilensky
Sent: Thursday, September 03, 2009 9:27 AM
To: LVM general discussion and development
Subject: [linux-lvm] vg availability during boot

Greetings,

I have a host that refuses to recognize my san-attached logical
volumes during boot.  When mounting from /etc/fstab, it drops out of
boot complaining that the LVs in question have an invalid superblock
and need to be fsck-ed, however because the lv is "mounted" the fsck
cannot proceed.

I commented out the entries, rebooted, and noticed that the LVs in the
VG in question are "NOT AVAILABLE."  A vgchange -a y vgname later and
everything is working perfectly.

This is my first RHEL5 san-attached host; might I have missed some
sort of 'vg persistency' settings by doing the same things I've been
doing on RHEL4?

Thanks,