[linux-lvm] Disk crash on LVM

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Fri Sep 18 21:31:19 UTC 2009

On Fri, 18 Sep 2009, Ray Morris wrote:

>    pvmove is very slow and very safe.  You want
> to get the data off that drive in a hurry, before
> it heats up, so pvmove is not your friend in this
> case.  Freeze the drive, then find out which LVs
> are on it:

I've found that external data/power cables that let you connect
an unmounted drive sitting on your workbench are your friend
in these cases.  You can even keep the drive in the freezer
(just make sure it is dry enough to be non-condensing).
Stay-Dri hospital ice bags also work well.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>