[linux-lvm] lvm can not be extended

Stuart D. Gathman stuart at bmsi.com
Mon Sep 28 17:10:56 UTC 2009

On Mon, 28 Sep 2009, Yu Huang wrote:

> I am new to lvm. I have installed my ubuntu 8.04 on LVM in my machine.
>
> I created a volume for the root partition. I used lvextend to extend the
> size of the root volume.
> In lvdisplay, it shows the LV size is 25.00G. But when I use df, it shows
> the size of the root volume is
> 5.00G, which is the original size I allocated to it.
>
> Am I missing something here?

Definitely.  Df shows the filesystem size, not the LV size.  You probably
want to extend the filesystem to match the LV.  In EL5, 'resize2fs' will
resize a filesystem while it is mounted (Leave out the size, and it will resize
to match the LV).  If the version on your Ubuntu doesn't know how to
resize online, then you'll have to boot from CD or USB and run resize2fs.

--
	      Stuart D. Gathman <stuart at bmsi.com>