[linux-lvm] How do I properly backup and restore / on LVM2

Robert Mortimer robert.mortimer at gmail.com
Mon Apr 12 18:50:28 UTC 2010

On 12 April 2010 17:51, Phillip Susi <psusi at cfl.rr.com> wrote:
> On 4/12/2010 12:14 PM, Alan Pek wrote:
>>
>> Hi Folks,
>>
>> How do I properly backup and restore / on LVM2 , e.g.
>
> The same way you would without LVM2.  Perhaps tar or dump?  If you use
> dump then lvm allows you to make a snapshot and back that up instead so
> you don't have to boot to single user mode and remount ro.

I take a snapshot and then use rdiff-backup to get a D-2-D backup. It
works well for me and has been used once or twice. We also run a month
end tape backup using Yosemite backup http://www.barracudaware.com/

you can run the rdiff over SSH using pre-exchanged keys for off site
backup. There are also some Amazon cloud based solutions but don't
expect you data to come back in a flash (best used as a fall back in
case of the building burning down).

In short the LVM is not the important part (unless you need the
snapshot) the main things are

Qty of data
Format of backup
On-site or Off-site