[linux-lvm] calculating free capacity from pvdisplay and lvdisplay

Ray Morris support at bettercgi.com
Wed Aug 11 06:10:31 UTC 2010

> B. Thus the total full space would come to 4.89 TB. But the sum of
> full
> space of all my LV's is only around 3 TB (based on the output of df)

It's the same thing as making a new partition covering your whole drive,
then wondering why fdisk says you can't make another partition.  Just
because you haven't stored files in that partition, it's still takes
up the whole drive.

df shows that your LVs take up 8.6TB: 6TB + 600 GB + 2 TB.
Therefore, you are using 8.6TB of disk space for those LVs.
Some of the space WITHIN each LV might not be used for files,
but it has been dedicated to that LV.

df also shows that the filesystems on the LVs have free space for
more files.  So you can put more files on those LVs, which is a
different thing than having space to make more LVs.

I'm not good at explaining things, so sometimes I try explaining three
different ways.  I have six cereal boxes, each half empty.  I put the
boxes in a bag.  The bag is now full.  The cereal boxes may not be full,
but they fill up the bag.  The cereal boxes are your half empty LVs and
the bag is your drives.

Layers:

hard drive
partition (can be skipped)