Re: [linux-lvm] calculating free capacity from pvdisplay and lvdisplay

Makes sense! The only reason that I was confused was why 3 of my PV's
say "yes (but full)" and the other three not. How does one explain
that?

1.63x3=4.89 still less than 8.6.

Has the VG spanned across the first 3 PVs fully and then utilized the
remaining 3 partially?

  Pretty much.  See man (8) lvm,  --alloc option
--
Ray Morris
support bettercgi com

http://www.bettercgi.com/strongbox/

http://www.bettercgi.com/throttlebox/

On 08/11/2010 12:03:39 PM, Rahul Nabar wrote:
On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 1:10 AM, Ray Morris <support bettercgi com> wrote:

Thanks Giorgio and Ray! That helps!

> df shows that your LVs take up 8.6TB: 6TB + 600 GB + 2 TB.
> Therefore, you are using 8.6TB of disk space for those LVs.
> Some of the space WITHIN each LV might not be used for files,
> but it has been dedicated to that LV.

Makes sense! The only reason that I was confused was why 3 of my PV's
say "yes (but full)" and the other three not. How does one explain
that?

1.63x3=4.89 still less than 8.6.

Has the VG spanned across the first 3 PVs fully and then utilized the
remaining 3 partially?

> I'm not good at explaining things, so sometimes I try explaining three > different ways.  I have six cereal boxes, each half empty.  I put the > boxes in a bag.  The bag is now full.  The cereal boxes may not be full, > but they fill up the bag.  The cereal boxes are your half empty LVs and
> the bag is your drives.

Food based analogies are always good! :)

Giorgio:

The vgs output is exactly as you say:

[root eustorage ~]# vgs
  VG                      #PV #LV #SN Attr   VSize VFree
  euclid_highperf_storage   6   3   0 wz--n- 9.80T 1.22T

--
Rahul