[linux-lvm] calculating free capacity from pvdisplay and lvdisplay

Malahal Naineni malahal at us.ibm.com
Thu Aug 12 00:52:10 UTC 2010

Rahul Nabar [rpnabar at gmail.com] wrote:
> On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 6:56 PM, Malahal Naineni <malahal at us.ibm.com> wrote:
> >
> > It is 'normal' for VG and 'inherit' for an LV. See 'man lvm' command for
> > details. See 'man vgs' on how to get it. Allocation policy is part of vg
> > 'Attr' field. Look for Attr value when you run 'vgs -o+attr'
>
> THanks! I do have "normal" allocation policy on the VG and all the
> LV's inherit this.
> But that just deepens the mystery. Why are my first 3 PV's showing
> full and the others not?

I don't know your particular situation, but if you create an LV, it will
normally use the first PV. Until the first PV is used, it won't allocate
from the next PV. This is only true if you use linear LV. If you use
stripes, that allocation would be completely different.

I don't think LVM remembers the last used PV for allocation to use any
kind of round robin allocation among different lvcreates. Hope that
answers your mystery.

Thanks, Malahal.