[linux-lvm] vgs adds to .cache but doesn't remove

Tom Graves tgraves_cs at yahoo.com
Thu Aug 19 13:52:49 UTC 2010

Sorry if everyone already got this. I don't see it in the archives and I just
subscribed to the mailing list itself..

Hello all,

I am having an issue where it seems that the vgs  command is adding new LV's to
the  /etc/lvm/cache/.cache but they never  get removed when the LV's are
deleted.

Basically this  eventually causes me to run out of space in /var/log because
dmeventd is  reading the cache file and trying to stat all the removed LV's
which  leads to the log files having a bunch of cannot stat lv because it was
one that was removed.

Here is what I do:

-bash-3.2$  sudo lvcreate --name tom2323tt --size 20G sys
-bash-3.2$  sudo  /usr/sbin/vgs --separator : --noheadings --units b
--unbuffered --nosuffix --options vg_size,vg_free sys
-bash-3.2$ sudo cat  /etc/lvm/cache/.cache  | grep tom
# This file is automatically  maintained by lvm.
                "/dev/mapper/sys-tom2323tt",
                "/dev/sys/tom2323tt",
-bash-3.2$ sudo lvremove /dev/sys/tom2323tt
-bash-3.2$  sudo  /usr/sbin/vgs --separator : --noheadings --units b
--unbuffered --nosuffix --options vg_size,vg_free sys
  497717084160:436295696384
-bash-3.2$ sudo cat  /etc/lvm/cache/.cache  | grep tom
# This file is automatically maintained by lvm.
                "/dev/mapper/sys-tom2323tt",
                 "/dev/sys/tom2323tt",

This is running rhel5.4 with lvm2-2.02.46-8.el5.

I know that do get cleaned up by vgscan but we currently aren't  running it.

Does anyone know why they aren't deleted?   Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Tom