[linux-lvm] Shared LVM questions

Paolo Smiraglia paolo.smiraglia at gmail.com
Tue Dec 14 16:29:51 UTC 2010

2010/12/14 Ray Van Dolson <rvandolson at esri.com>:
> On Tue, Dec 14, 2010 at 07:59:19AM -0800, Paolo Smiraglia wrote:
>> Hi to every ones...
>>

>> I would to setup a LVM build on top of an iSCSI disk shared between
>> some nodes which is managed by a Master Node (MN) that sents commands
>> to other nodes (N1, N2,...) through SSH.
>>
>> I think the cluster extension is not required because a particular
>> Logical Volume (LV) is accessed exclusively by one node, and because
>> LVM metadata cannot be modified at the same time by multiple nodes.
>>
>> One issue is that once a LV is created by a node it cannot be
>> activated by another node by executing the command
>>
>>   $> lvchange -aey vg/lv01
>>
>> and the LV created is a snapshot. The error displayed is
>>
>>   Can't change logical volume "lv01"
>>

>> 1. In this scenario is CLVMD required?
>> 2. Is it possible to activate a LV in another node?
>>

>> Thanks in advance for all replies.
>
> I haven't tried this, but you probably would need to release the LVM
> from use by node B for node A to activate and use it.
>
> Ray

Hi Ray, thanks for the faster reply...

The problem is that node B is unable to deactivate the Snapshot LV,
because the command

   $> lvchange -aen vg/lv01

fails with the message posted above (Can't change logical volume "lv01").

What is the correct way to deactivate the Snapshot LV in this scenario?

Thanks!

--
PAOLO SMIRAGLIA
http://portale.isf.polito.it/paolo-smiraglia