[linux-lvm] vgmerge with different physical extent sizes

Ross Boylan ross at biostat.ucsf.edu
Thu Dec 23 08:08:17 UTC 2010

What happens if you vgmerge 2 VG's and they have different physical
extent sizes?

I ask because I created a VG and specfied
vgcreate -s 32MB rose /dev/sdc2
# created a LV and formatted it, then inactivated it
vgmerge daisy rose

I notice that vgdisplay now says that daisy has
  PE Size               32.00 MB.

When I created daisy I don't think I used the -s option, though I may
have created it with a Debian tool that picked 32MB.  I've looked for an
explicit record, or the results of an earlier vgdisplay, but I don't see
anything (I do have some earlier lvdisplay's).

Is PE size mismatch anything that might be causing me trouble?  This is
LVM2.

Thanks.
Ross